IDF Pin Insignia Israeli Air Force Hat Badge
Frequently Bought Together
About the IDF Pin Insignia Israeli Air Force Hat Badge
The Israeli Air Force was established during the 1948 War of Independese, as a successor to the "Sherut Avir"(Air Service), which served as the aerial branch for the Haganah (later to become Israeli Defense Force). At the time of its establishment, the IAF consisted of a small number of troops and aircraft, with recruits and aircraft joining the air force from South Africa and the USA, bringing valuable skills, aircraft and equipment along with them. At the end of the war, most of the foreign volunteers were released, and the IAF was made up of Israeli pilots only. The air force began establishing Air Force Bases using former RAF bases in Palestine.
At the begining of the 50s the IAF underwent a complete re-organization with the development of new control systems, and the increase in aerial reconnaissance missions. In 1953, the Air Force entered the "Jet Era" when the British "Gloster Meteor" aircraft joined the force.
The IAF continued integrating new aircraft throughout the 60s, and its combat doctrines were put to a test in a long series of battles against Egypt, Syria and Jordan. During Operation "Moked" of the Six Days War of 1967, the IAF destroyed the Egyptian Air Force, and severely damaged the air forces of Jordan, Syria and Iraq.
Mission Statement of the Israeli Air Force
- To protect the state of Israel and the IDF's theaters of operation from aerial attacks.
- To achieve aerial superiority in all of the IDF's theaters of operation.
- To provide air support for both the ground and the naval forces.
- To attack targets deep in enemy territory.
- To help create a comprehensive concept of aerial intelligence for the air force, and assist the IDF's Intelligence Division.
- To transport troops, equipment and weapon systems.
- To carry out SAR and extraction missions.
- To perform special operations.
- To continually build and improve itself, as part of the general plan to improve the entire IDF.